[Cancellation] Sam Rainsy, the Acting President of CNRP and Cambodia’s Democracy
- Int. Solidarity
- 2019.10.08 (18:11:46)
* Due to the cancellation of Sam Rainsy's visit to Korea, this roundtable is now cancelled. Thank you for your understanding.
[Invitation] Sam Rainsy, the Acting President of Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) and Cambodia’s Democracy
On September 9, Rona Smith, the U.N. Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Cambodia, expressed her grave concern about intensifying repression of political, human rights and freedoms since last year's general elections held in Cambodia, in the report on the human rights situation in Cambodia submitted to the 42nd UN Human Rights Council.
In fact, Prime Minister Hun Sen, who has led the Cambodian People's Party for 35 years and has been in power for 35 years, imprisoned the leader of the main opposition political party, Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Kem Sokha, for the charge of attempting to overthrow the state and banned 118 leaders from engaging in political activities.
Recently, ex-CNRP members have been arrested and sent to court on charges of inciting social unrest by sharing information related to rallies and demonstrations in preparation for Sam Rainsy’s return to the country, as the acting President of CNRP. Sam Rainsy’s office said that the office plans to take legal action, including arresting individuals on charges of creating social unrest, as well as those who share information on his return to Cambodia, scheduled for November 9.
Democracy in Cambodia still seems to have a long way to go. Korean House for International Solidarity (KHIS), Asia Democracy Network (ADN), People’s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD) have prepared this opportunity to hear about the present and future of democracy in Cambodia, ahead of Sam Rainsy’s return to Cambodia.
We appreciate your interest and participation.
Sam Rainsy, the Acting President of Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) and Cambodia’s Democracy
○ Date: October 22, 2019, 7 p.m.
○ Location: Nutinamu-hall, B1, People’s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD)
Moderator: Kim Hyung-jong (Professor, Yonsei University)
Presenter: Sam Rainsy (Acting President, Cambodia National Rescue Party)
○ Organizers: Asia Democracy Network (ADN), Korean House for International Solidarity (KHIS), People’s Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD)
* English-Korean Consecutive Translation will be provided
* Please send us Questions for Q&A Session in advance
* Please use public transportation due to limited parking space
* Please bring personal cups or reusable tumblers
* For further inquiries: PSPD Center for International Solidarity (02-723-5051, email@example.com)