PSPD in English Peace/Disarmament 2010-11-23   1887

International Workshop for Peace and Disarmament in the Asia-Pacific Region(11/17) – Comments3(By Tomoko Nishimo)

Before attending this workshop, I had an expectation which we could hear that each session would be sharing experiences from 4countries. The title of this workshop is International Workshop for Peace and Disarmament in the Asia-Pacific Region: ‘for civilian control of the security sector’, so I expected it. For my opinion, there were not so many civil societies’ experiences that I have heard from each presentation. That is my impression of this session.

Furthermore, I would like to comment of session 1. Security Policies and Civil Priorities in the Asia-Pacific Region, Presenter 1 US case: John Feffer / IPS(Institute for Policy Studies). I was really interested of what he mentioned that how to overcome or fight with the U.S. military presence in East Asia at last part of his presentation and I agree with his view which the civil society of Asia-Pacific region have to continue to raise this issue and press for coordination.

This issue, especially the U.S military bases issue, has been discussed in my country and same as in South Korea, I guess. I knew that there are so many resistance movements of the U.S. military bases around the world. In Japan, women’s groups, in particular, have not only protested the presence of U.S. military bases but also engaged in activities to help rape and other crime victims. Other groups are involved in struggles against the bases and for environmental protection. Moreover, the worldwide resistance to U.S. foreign military bases (International Network for the Abolition of U.S. Military Bases) has grown during the last few years to dismantle U.S. military bases in foreign countries, broadly pursue disarmament, demilitarization processes worldwide.  Major gatherings were held within the framework of the World Social Forum in Mumbai 2004 and Porto Alegre 2005 from over 30 countries to define the foundations of a coordinated global campaign. Justice and Peace organizations have become more sensitized on what was at stake regarding US military bases.

So what came up in my minds is that there is other way to collaborate between the civil societies in the Asia-pacific region? How can we bring better actions to this issue? I’m afraid my understanding is not correct a whole thing, but if there are any idea of this, I would like to know more.

Finally I really would like to express my feelings. I really thank for everyone who came here to giving us such an interesting workshop.

By Tomoko Nishimo, SungKongHoe University

정부지원금 0%, 회원의 회비로 운영됩니다

참여연대 후원/회원가입

참여연대 NOW

실시간 활동 SNS

텔레그램 채널에 가장 빠르게 게시되고,

더 많은 채널로 소통합니다. 지금 팔로우하세요!