PSPD in English Peace/Disarmament 2010-11-23   2224

International Workshop for Peace and Disarmament in the Asia-Pacific Region(11/17) – Comments4(By Sonam Pem)

I found both the sessions interesting and very informative, it is an issue I never paid much heed, perhaps because I come from a peaceful country where we don’t have to fear of such threats. But never the less, it is a very important and serious concern for many countries for their securities. I would like to share my comments on the second session: Creating Civil Solidarity for NWF Disarmament and prevention of Armed Conflict in the Asia –Pacific Region (on the Women Peace Keeping Initiatives)

It is very impressive to know and learn that women are contributing to creating solidarity for NWF disarmament and prevention of Armed Conflict.

It is the inevitable that women, children, disabled people and the older citizen become the silent victims of armed conflict in every country.  How long can these groups of people remain voiceless and suffer from all the serious threats?.  It is indeed high time for us, the Civil Society groups to respond to the calls of the sufferings.

The growing tensions in the Korean Peninsula and the Asia Pacific Region in general may leave its citizen’s to live in fear, there is always the fear of contingencies as each country tries to increase their security through military expansions. Like how the United States wants to fight today’s war and prepare for tomorrow’s war as well, the CSOs should try to focus on the issues faced now as well as prepare for the future anticipated problems.  While, women have started advocacy works through many creative ways in informing the public regarding the government spending of huge chunk of the national budget for security purposes, they could still do more. Women groups in this region should take advantage of this contemporary wireless world and go across the border to work towards global peace movements. There are many other women across the world fighting against the same cause and a joint action with sharing of creative experiences in such case would benefit all. I think it is imperative to include women from different sections of the society, as being a mother or any female member of a family will definitely have the urge to support such actions for their sons, husbands and any male members in their family when it comes to the armed force services.

Like Mr. Colin Archer suggested, I strongly feel that having a joint workshop/ seminar among all the countries facing similar threats would bring about new ideas to advocate for peace and NWF Disarmament; joint action can make greater impacts rather than each concentrating in their own regions.

Women groups should also engage men and older citizens in their campaigns and initiatives, as I feel that they would have more experiences on living in such environment considering the war periods that they have gone through.  Therefore, better expressions of concerns could be demonstrated through all the sentiments that are attached with them.  

Lobbying the Parliamentarian and UN members would be more effective too; but it could be difficult as the decisions would still depend on the majority basis, so perhaps CSOs should target the spouses and family members of higher officials in the government and try to convince them to take your action further. For the Korean women groups it would be very meaningful and efficient to work with women and students groups in China and Japan, as I believe they are also fighting for the same cause in their respective countries. It could create a platform for further joint actions against their government’s enhancing security plans and spending on military and armaments.

Like the saying ‘charity begins at home’ if there is an opportunity to seek attentions from the family members of high rank army officers (children and spouse) the women groups can convince them to promote peace and campaign for NWF Disarmament to prevent armed conflicts.

Without the bigger countries not cutting down on their security measures, we cannot expect a country like North Korea, who is standing against all odds to protect their sovereignty. The threats from other countries will only motivate North Korea to enhance their security plans and measures.

I think the countries in this region should also be concerned with their influence on the global governance, to what extent do issues closer to home affect the regional security balances that shape their performance in institutions of global governance.

By Sonam Pem, SungKongHoe University

정부지원금 0%, 회원의 회비로 운영됩니다

참여연대 후원/회원가입

참여연대 NOW

실시간 활동 SNS

텔레그램 채널에 가장 빠르게 게시되고,

더 많은 채널로 소통합니다. 지금 팔로우하세요!