평화군축센터 파병 2004-06-24   846

“폭력은 더 큰 폭력을 부르고 증오는 더 큰 증오로 이어집니다”

9.11 희생자 유가족 단체가 한국민에게 보내온 메시지

9.11 희생자 유가족 단체인 ‘Peaceful Tomorrows’가 고 김선일 씨 피살 사건과 관련하여 한국민들에게 보낸 위로 메시지를 번역하여 싣는다. 편집자주

9.11 희생자 유가족으로서 김선일 씨의 죽음으로 인한 엄청난 충격과 슬픔을 이해합니다. 오늘, 미국의 신문들은 아들을 잃고 슬퍼하는 고 김선일 씨 부모님들의 얼굴을 실었습니다. 그들의 슬픔을 통해 저는 9.11 테러 당시 아들의 사망 소식을 접한 저의 부모님의 얼굴을 보았습니다. 저는 국적과 지리상의 위치에 상관없이 모든 희생자들은 인간으로서의 존엄성을 지니고, 모든 생명은 귀하다는 것을 깨달았습니다. 또한 그의 죽음은 불법적이고, 부도덕하고, 부당한 이라크 침공의 슬픈 결과라는 점을 깨달았습니다.

2002년 9월 23일 ‘9.11 희생자 유가족 단체-Peaceful Tomorrows’는 부시 대통령에게 편지 한 통을 보냈습니다.

“우리는 당신이 내 사랑하는 아들의 죽음을 추모하고 애도해야 할 날을 9.11 테러와 무관한 나라에 전쟁을 부르기 위한 날로 이용하는 모습에 실망을 금치 못했습니다. 우리는 이라크 전쟁이, 9.11 테러를 제대로 규명하고 책임자들을 처벌하기 위한 임무 수행과정에서 얻어진 정보들을 유용한 것이라고 확신합니다.

우리는 이 전쟁이 중동 지역의 불안정을 유발하고 다른 나라들의 무고한 민간인과 생명을 희생시킬까 두렵습니다. 더 이상의 살생은 오직 테러의 불씨를 키우고 테러 단체들이 우리에게 해를 끼칠 테러리스트들을 더 손쉽게 모을 수 있도록 도울 뿐입니다.”

이라크 침공 이후 우리는 우리가 했던 경고가 현실화되는 것을 애통한 마음으로 지켜보았습니다. 우리는 폭력이 더 큰 폭력을 부르고, 불법이 또 다른 불법을 낳고, 증오가 더 큰 증오로 이어지는 것을 배웠습니다. 우리는 또한 민주주의 사회에서는 국민들이 자신들의 목소리를 높이고 자신들의 소망을 요구하며 그 모든 것들이 그들의 정부 대표들에 의해 존중받을 수 있도록 노력하는 것이 국민의 책무라는 것을 깨달았습니다.

나는 이라크 사태의 평화적인 해결을 추구하는 한국의 모든 이들, 국제법을 존중하고 이라크인들에게 진정한 자결권을 안겨주고자 하는 이들과 함께 합니다. 합법이 합법을 낳고, 형제애가 더 큰 형제애로 이어지고, 사랑이 더 큰 사랑을 부를 수 있도록 합시다.

오직 이 방법을 통해서만 우리는 우리의 마음 속에 영원히 간직될, 김선일 씨와 같은 이들의 선의를 진정으로 받들 수 있을 것입니다.

David Potorti

Co-Director, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows

————————-

As the brother of a September 11th victim, I understand the enormous shock and sadness resulting from the brutal murder of Kim Sun Il. Today, the newspapers in America showed the faces of his parents as they grieve the loss of their son. I see in their sadness the faces of my own parents as they learned of their son’s death on 9/11. I’m reminded that all victims share a common humanity, regardless of their nationality or geography, and that all life is precious.

I’m also reminded that his murder is the sad outcome of the illegal, immoral and unjustified invasion of Iraq. On September 23, 2002, Peaceful Tomorrows sent a letter to President George W. Bush which read: “We are disappointed that you have used the anniversary of our loved ones’ deaths not as a time to mourn and reflect but as a time to call for war on a country unrelated to the events of September 11th. We are concerned that a war in Iraq will divert the necessary resources from the task of apprehending and bringing to justice those responsible for the September 11th attacks. We fear this war could destabilize the Middle East region and cost the lives of countless, innocent civilians in other nations. We are deeply troubled that

more killing will only fuel the fires of terrorism and enable terrorist organizations to recruit more easily those who would harm us.”

Since the invasion of Iraq, we have watched with sadness as our warnings have come true. We have learned that violence leads to more violence, lawlessness leads to more lawlessness, and hatred leads to more hatred. We have also learned that in a democracy, it is the responsibility of the people to demand that their voices, and their wishes, be respected by their representatives in government. I join with all of those in South Korea who seek a peaceful resolution to the Iraq war, one which truly honors international law and brings real self-determination to the Iraqi people.

Let lawfulness lead to more lawfulness, brotherhood lead to more brotherhood, and love lead to more love. Only in this way can we honor the good wishes of people like Kim Sun Il, who we will remember forever in our hearts.

David Potorti

Co-Director, September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows

번역: 이나래 자원활동가

정부지원금 0%, 회원의 회비로 운영됩니다

참여연대 후원/회원가입