평화군축센터 파병 2004-07-09   443

“폭력은 악을 확대재생산 합니다”

아프가니스탄에 머물고 있는 한 평화구호활동가의 편지

이 글은 아프가니스탄에서 구호 활동을 하고 있는 미 친우봉사회 소속 패트리샤 오미디안 씨가 지난 6월 동료들에게 보낸 글이다. 오미디안 씨는 폭력 테러로 인해 동료 구호요원들마저 희생당하고 있는 상황에서도 폭력에 폭력으로 대응해서는 안된다며 평화적인 구호활동을 계속 벌이겠다고 다짐하고 있다. 고 김선일 씨의 죽음에 보복하자는 여론이 비등한 국내상황에도 시사하는 바가 크다. 편집자주.

사랑하는 친구들과 가족들에게…

나는 왜 여전히 아프가니스탄에 남아있는지, 내가 현재 품고 있는 생각들을 나눠야 할 것 같아 펜을 들었습니다. 그럴 일은 없겠지만 카불에서 급히 철수해야 할 경우를 대비해서 비자는 살려두었습니다. 하지만 이곳을 빠져나갈 계획은 없습니다.

며칠 전 북부 아프카니스탄 지역에서 다섯 명의 구호요원들이 목숨을 잃었습니다. 그 중 두 명은 아프가니스탄 사람이었고, 세 명은 외국인으로 ‘국경없는 의사회’(MSF) 소속 회원들이었습니다. ‘국경없는 의사회’는 분쟁지역에 가장 먼저 들어가고, 최후의 순간까지 버텨내는 단체입니다. 그러나 이 단체조차 모든 활동을 접고 일정기간 아프가니스탄에서 철수하는 것을 고려하고 있습니다. 가슴 아픈 일입니다. 이런 끔찍한 일을 자행한 사람들에 대해서, 나는 그들이 무슨 생각을 하고 있는지, 무엇을 하는지, 무엇을 얻고자 하는지 상상조차 할 수 없습니다. 나는 그들을 이해할 수 없습니다. 그러나 가장 외딴 곳에 살고 있으며 최소한의 도움밖에 줄 수 없는 몇몇 NGO에 의존하고 있는 불쌍한 아프간 사람들만이 전쟁광들과 신 탈레반에 의한 권력 쟁탈전에서 가장 크게 다친 희생자일 것입니다. 아프가니스탄 사람들의 반응에 주목할 필요가 있습니다.

우리는 뉴스(Naibzada)를 통해 이 보도내용을 접했습니다.

“희생 당한 구호요원들이 운영을 도와주었던, 그리고 그들의 시신이 밤새 방치되었던 진료소 주위로 아프가니스탄 사람들이 흐느끼며 모여들었다. 그들은 마치 자신의 아이들을 잃은 것처럼 슬퍼하였다”

이 보도 내용은 내가 아프가니스탄에서 국제 구호요원이 죽어나갈 때마다 목격했던 광경을 잘 설명해주고 있습니다. 지난 11월 베티나가 살해당했을 때도 같은 슬픔의 크기를 느낄 수 있었습니다. 내 사무실 직원들은 깊은 충격을 받았습니다. 몇몇은 도움을 주고자 왔던 사람들에 대한 폭력과 비극, 그리고 죽음 앞에서 통곡했습니다.

이러한 비극은 우리 모두에게 다른 방식으로 영향을 주었습니다. 무자비한 살상은 우리에게 평화란 그리고 희망이란 얼마나 부서지기 쉬운가를 보여주었습니다. 그들을 죽음으로 이르게 한 자들은 평화를 원하지 않으며 다른 사람들을 어떻게 대해야 한다는 것을 망각한 이들입니다. 그들의 목표는 권력이고 어떤 대가를 치르건 간에 그것을 얻고자 합니다. 그들은 종종 수사적 기교 뒤에 몸을 숨기기도 하지만, 그저 권력을 얻기 위해 행동하고 조금의 선도 그들 내부에는 존재하지 않는 것마냥 행세하는 게 보통입니다.

그리고 금년에는(오늘에 이르기까지) 작년에 사망한 이들의 총합보다 더 많은 수의 아프가니스탄 구호요원들이 숨졌습니다. 평화가 지속될는지 우리는 알지 못합니다. 그저 바랄 뿐입니다.

그러나, 이 모든 폭력의 소용돌이 속에 (카불은 여전히 매우 고요하고 안전합니다) 나는 왜 남고자 하는가 묻고 싶습니까? 그것은 아프가니스탄 사람들이 쏟아내는 슬픔 때문입니다. 아프가니스탄 사람들이 그들을 돕기 위해 온 사람들의 죽음을 슬퍼하는 한, 평화에 대한 희망과 미래에 대한 희망이 이곳에도 여전히 남아있기 때문입니다. 이는 세상의 어느 누구도 아프가니스탄 사람들, 이 상처 받은 나라 사람들을 포기해서는 안 된다는 것을 의미합니다. 마약과 전쟁광들이 모든 권력을 행사할 수 있는 그런 잔인한 운명 속에 그들을 버려둘 수는 없습니다.

아프가니스탄은 서구에 사는 우리들에 대한 분명한 경고장입니다. 아프가니스탄 사람들처럼 세계 어느 나라도 전쟁과 파괴로부터 안전할 수 없습니다. 9.11 테러가 우리에게 보여준 것은 세계의 우리모두는 하나로 연결되어 있으며 폭력은 다른 누군가에게만 적용되는 것이 아니며 “저 바깥쪽” 어딘가에 있는 것이 아니라는 점입니다.

폭력은 우리모두에게 영향을 미칩니다. 따라서, 우리가 이 폭력에 어떻게 대응하는가는 중요한 문제입니다. 만약 우리가 폭력으로 대응한다면 아프가니스탄이 보여줬던 것과 같이 우리는 더 높은 강도의 폭력을 더 자주 보게 될 것입니다. 그러나 동시에 아프가니스탄은 우리에게 인간은 강인한 존재이며 언제든 다시 일어설 수 있다는 것을 보여줬습니다.

우리는 아프가니스탄 사람들로부터 보고 배울 수 는 있지만, 그들을 버릴 수는 없습니다. 우리가 그들을 버린다면, 우리는 우리 자신 또한 버리는 것이 되기 때문입니다.

“폭력의 최대 약점은 파괴하고자 하는 악을 키워준다는 점이다. 폭력은 악을 약화시키기는커녕 오히려 악을 확대재생산한다.” 마틴 루터 킹

Dear friends and family,

I thought I would share with you a bit about my thoughts and maybe a bit about why I am still in Afghanistan. I have no exit plans, even though I keep visas current should the need to make a fast retreat from Kabul occur, God forbid.

A few days ago 5 aid workers were killed in a remote area of Northern Afghanistan, 2 Afghans and 3 internationals with MSF (Doctors without Borders). This agency is the first in and the last out in all crisis areas. Yet they are deciding to pull back on their programs and reduce their presence here in Afghanistan for a while. That is unsettling. Of those who did this horror, I cannot even imagine what they are thinking they are doing or accomplishing. I cannot even imagine them. But the poor Afghan in the remotest area and who depends on some NGO to bring them even the smallest bit of help, is the most wounded in this struggle for power by warlords and neo-Taliban. But the Afghan reaction needs to be heard and listened to.

In the news we got this report:

Weeping Afghans meanwhile gathered around the clinic which the victims had helped run where the bodies were kept overnight. They are as sad as if they had lost their own children,” Naibzada said.

I think this sums up what I have seen each time an international aid worker is killed in Afghanistan. The same outpouring of grief came when Bettina was killed last November. And in my office, the staff were stunned. Several of them cried for the outrage and the tragedy of someone coming to help and being killed just for giving aid. These tragedies touch us all in different ways. The senseless killing shows how fragile peace and hope can be. Those who kill do not want peace and have forgotten how to care about other humans, Afghan or international. Their agenda is one of power and control at any cost. They sometimes hide behind rhetoric but more often than not, they just move to gain power and are not pretending to bring any kind of goodness with them. And this year to date, more Afghan aid workers have been killed that all of last year. We do not know if peace can last, but we do hope.

But, with all the violence (and Kabul is still very calm and secure) why would I stay? I stay because of that outpouring of grief. As long as Afghans can mourn the loss of the life of someone coming to help them, it means that there is still hope for peace and hope for a future here. It means that no one in the world should give up on the Afghan people, the people of this poor battered country. We cannot abandon them to a fate of such cruelty as would come if drug and warlords took full control.

But Afghanistan a very clear warning to us, in the West. There is no country in the world that is safe from the fate that Afghanistan has suffered at the hands of war makers and those bent on destruction. If 11 September showed nothing us else, it should have shown us that we are all connected in this world and violence does not belong to someone else, nor is it located somewhere “out there.” Everyone is touched by violence; therefore, it matters how we respond to this violence. If we respond with violence, we will see more of it, at even greater levels–Afghanistan has shown us this, as well. But Afghanistan shows us also how strong and resilient humans can be. We can look at and learn from the Afghans but we cannot abandon them. Because if we do, we abandon ourselves, as well.

Just some thoughts: In Peace and with Love

Pat

“…The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiples it…” MLK

인터넷참여연대

정부지원금 0%, 회원의 회비로 운영됩니다

참여연대 후원/회원가입