PSPD l People's Solidarity for Participatory Democracy
[UNHRC] The Statement on the Abuse of NIS's Authority Submitted to UN HRC
- UN Advocacy
- 2010.03.05 (10:03:38)
Asked HRC to Stop NIC from Overstepping Authority to Collect Intelligence and Intervening Politically
1. The UN Human Rights Council is going to hold its 13th session on 1 March, 2010(1 March ~ 26 March). To make it a great chance, the PSPD submitted its written statement to the UN Human Rights Council on 15 February. In the statement, the PSPD presented some cases showing that National Intelligence Service(NIS) of the Republic of Korea had breached its duties and abused authority and power under Lee Myung-Bak's administration. Also, the PSPD asked the UN Human Rights Council to make a strong urge and recommendation on ROK government to stop NIS's violations of the laws and make up countermeasures for them.
- put pressure on the team of judges in charge of the President Lee Myung-Bak's case called 'the BBK case'
2. The details of NIS's violations presented by the PSPD are as follows:
- collect intelligence in regards to the parliamentary inspection of the administration of the Ministry of Labor
- demanded enterprises to provide the history of financial support for NGOs
- gathered information of Park Won-Soon, a lawyer, civil activist, and executive director of the Hope Institute and Beautiful Store, and intervened the activities of the Hope and Institute and Beautiful Store
- investigated professors' meeting against the so called 'Grand Canal' Project by the government
- restrained civil groups' collective actions against the '4 River Restoration Project' by the government
- conciliated well-known local figures to support the revised Sejong City bill, an administrative city bill
- put pressure on Gwangju City to remove the art work satirizing the '4 River Restoration Project’
- forced to cancel an buddhist event in Jogye temple, and etc.
3. Since Lee Myung-Bak's administration came to power and Won Sae-Hoon took his office as the President of NIS, NIS has overstepped and abused its authority and power. For the reason, the PSPD submit the written statement to let the UN Human Rights Council know the reality of ROK.