평화군축센터 핵없는 세상 2005-03-23   1522

셀리그 해리슨, 갈루치 등에 재반박: 북한의 농축우라늄 프로그램 보유, 여전히 신뢰할만한 증거 없다(Foreign Affairs, March/April, 2005)

Foreign Affairs 지 3.4 월호에 미첼 리스(Mitchell Reiss) 전 미 국무부 정책기획실장과 로버트 갈루치(Robert Gallucci) 전 국무부 핵담당 대사는 부시행정부가 2002년 북한이 우라늄 농축을 통한 핵무기 개발 능력을 마련했다는 분명한 증거를 확보했다고 주장하면서 셀리그 해리슨(Selig Harrison) 미 국제정책센터 선임연구원이 포린어페어 1·2월호에 북핵문제와 관련해 실은 글에 대해서 반박한 바 있다.

이에 대해 셀리그 해리슨이 재 반박한 글이다. 셀리그 해리슨은 리스와 갈루치의 반박이 북한이 무기급 농축우라늄 프로그램을 보유하고 있다는 것을 입증하지 못하고 있으며 NPT에서도 허용하고 있는 저농축 우라늄과 무기급 우라늄을 구분해야 한다고 주장하고 있다. 셀리그 해리슨은 여전히 북한이 농충 우라늄 프로그램을 볼만한 증거는 없으며 만일 부시 행정부가 이러한 증거를 갖고 있다면 북핵 협상이 지금처럼 교착상태에 빠져 있지 않을 것이라고 지적하고 있다.

셀리그 해리슨의 반박문

만약 무기급의 우라늄 농축이 라이스 박사와 갈루치 학장이 말한바와 같이 용이하고, 또한 북한이 농축우라늄 프로그램을 확보했다는 신뢰할 만한 증거가 있다면, 부시 행정부는 지난 해 본인의 글에 대해 즉각적으로 응수했을 것이다.

하지만, 국무부 대변인은 문제의 본질은 교묘히 피해갔고, 단지 북한이 “농축우라늄 프로그램을 보유”하고 있다고 말했을 뿐이다. 이 발언을 통해서는 북한이 연간 2기 이상의 핵무기를 만드는 데 충분한 우라늄을 생산할 수 있는 원심분리기 시설을 위한 물질과 장비를 획득했다는 이전의 주장이 명확히 드러나지 않고 있다. 유사한 방식으로, 라이스 박사와 갈루치 학장 또한 무기급 농축우라늄과 핵확산방지조약(NPT)이 허용하고 있는 저농축 우라늄 사이의 차이를 무시하고 있다.

무기급 우라늄 프로그램에 대한 증거제시는 답보상태를 거듭하고 있는 6자회담을 위기상황에서 구하고, 북한을 궁지에 빠뜨릴 수 있을 것이다. 중국, 남한, 일본, 러시아는 공개적으로 이러한 주장에 대한 의구심을 드러냈으며, 미국의 농축우라늄을 먼저 해결하고 협상을 시작하려는 미국의 외교정책에 매우 비판적이다. 이러한 상황 하에서 미국이 북한 우라늄에 대한 증거를 내놓을 수 있다면 이들 국가들에게서도 미국과 같은 동일한 주장을 이끌어낼 수 있을 것이다. 반대로, 내가 가정한 것처럼 무기급 우라늄 프로그램에 대한 증거가 불충분하다면, 미국은 내가 주장해왔던 우선 플루토늄 해결 정책으로 전환해야 옳을 것이다. 미국은 이후 단계별 비핵화 과정을 거쳐 농축우라늄을 제거시키면서, 우선 지금까지 북한에 의해 재처리된 플루토늄을 해체 시킬 수 있을 것이다.

부시 행정부는 클린턴의 대북정책을 뒤업고 더 나아가 제네바 합의를 폐기시킬 목적으로 북한의 농축우라늄에 관한 CIA 보고를 과장하였다. (북한은 제네바 합의를 통해 플로토늄 재처리를 중지했는데, 만약 이 합의가 이뤄지지 않았다면 년간 30여기의 핵무기가 생산될 수 있었다.) 라이스와 갈루치는 이러한 주장과 이를 뒷받침하는 분석들을 간과한 채, 플루토늄 문제를 무시해 버렸다.

농축 우라늄 문제는 이미 클린턴 행정부 시기에 등장하였다. CIA는 북한의 이러한 활동을 예의 주시했으나, 클린턴 행정부는 조용한 외교를 통해 이 문제를 조율하면서, 제네바 합의를 통해 획득한 플루토늄 통제권을 놓치지 않기 위해 북한과의 직접적 대립을 피했다.

반대로 부시는 애초 북한의 정권 교체에 대한 소망을 공공연하게 표출시켰으며, 그 주변의 관료들 또한 1994년 제네바 합의를 폐기할 수 있는 구실들을 찾기에 이르렀다. 그들은 김정일 정권의 존속을 돕게 될 비핵화의 대가, 즉 물질적 지원에 반대해왔다. 그 결과로 2002년 여름, 제네바 합의 폐기의 좋은 구실이 될 수 있는 CIA의 북한 농축우라늄 문제가 제기 될 때까지 미국의 대북 정책은 아무런 진전도 보이지 않았다. 이는 북한이 예상대로 제네바 합의에 의해 중지되었던 플루토늄 재처리를 재개함으로써 목욕물과 함께 아기까지 버리는 꼴이 되어버리고 말았다.

나는 북한의 무기급 농축우라늄 생산을 어렵게 하는 수많은 제약 요인들과 2002년 행정부에 의해 제시된 증거들이 왜 신빙성이 없는지에 대해 수없이 지적해왔다. 라이스와 갈루치는 이러한 분석 어느 하나도 인용하거나 인정하지 않았다. 내가 강조하고 있는 핵심적 제약 요인은 북한이 원심분리기 제조에 필요한 충분한 양의 고강도 알루미늄과 같은 첨단 원료들을 획득하는 데 큰 어려움을 겪고 있다는 것이다. 라이스와 갈루치는 2003년 4월 북한이 고강도 알루미늄 관을 수입하려 했다는 보고서를 인용하며, 마치 그 시도자체가 북한의 알루미늄 관의 획득을 증명하는 것처럼 말했다. 나는 같은 보고서를 들어 나포작전은 성공하였고 북한이 확실히 그 관을 확보하였는지 여부에 대해서는 의구심을 표하고 싶다.

나는 북한이 대규모의 무기급 농축우라늄 제조를 위해 필요한 수천대의 원심분리기를 가동시키는 것이 얼마나 어려운가에 대해 많은 전문가들의 자문을 얻었다. 그러나 그들 대부분이 원심분리기 생산에 요구되는 복잡한 기술과 저농축 우라늄에서 고농축 우라늄으로의 전환에 소요되는 시간과 배가되는 기술상의 어려움들을 강조하고 있다. 이것이 내가 말하고자 했는 논점의 요지이며, 본인이 저농축, 고농축 우라늄에 대한 비교를 적절치 못하게 인용함으로써 발생한 혼란을 유감스럽게 생각한다.

나는 농축우라늄이 협상의 중심문제가 될 수 없다고 말하는 것이 아니다. 또한 나의 “플루토늄 선해결” 주장이 북한이 핵무기 개발 능력의 지속으로 귀착되길 원하는 것도 아니다. 반대로, 나는 “우라늄 농축 시설들을 제거할 수 있는 조치들은 필수적”이며, 미국은 만약 있다면 그러한 시설들은 분명히 밝혀내기 위해 “엄격한 비핵화 이행을 요구”해야 함을 강조하고 하는 것이다.

파키스탄 핵과학자 칸 박사가 원심분리기 원형과 청사진을 북한에 제공했다는 나의 주장에는 라이스와 갈루치도 동의하는 것 같다. 만약 그렇다면 북한은 핵농축에 요구되는 수많은 원심분리기 제조와 기술적 제약의 극복을 위해 모든 첨단 장비들을 수입해야만 한다. 만약 파키스탄이 완제된 수많은 원심분리기를 제공하였다면 라이스와 갈루치의 주장은 지금보다 훨씬 더 많은 설득력을 얻게 될 것이다. 하지만 현재까지 그를 뒷받침할 증거는 없는 것으로 보인다.

(원문)

Harrison Replies

If it were as easy as Reiss, Gallucci, and Garwin argue it is to enrich uranium to weapons grade in quantities sufficient for nuclear weapons, and if there were indeed credible evidence that North Korea has a program in place for doing so, one would have expected the Bush administration to put forward this evidence in its response to my article.

Instead, responding to my article on December 10, a State Department spokesman attempted to finesse the issue. Saying only that North Korea has a “uranium enrichment program,” he carefully avoided a repetition of earlier accusations that North Korea has a military uranium program capable of producing two or more uranium-based nuclear weapons per year as early as this year. Similarly, Reiss, Gallucci, and Garwin blur the critical distinction between weapons-grade enrichment and lower levels of enrichment that are permitted by the NPT.

I hope that by the time this letter is published, the administration will have redefined its position on the North Korean uranium issue. Presenting credible evidence of a weapons-grade program would help to break the present stalemate in the six-party negotiations, putting North Korea on the defensive. China, South Korea, Japan, and Russia have been openly skeptical of the weapons-grade accusation and critical of a U.S. diplomatic strategy that conditions the start of negotiations on resolving this issue. Putting forward credible evidence would lead to a united diplomatic front in confronting Pyongyang–a united front that the administration has so far been unable to mobilize.

Alternatively, if, as I hypothesize, there is not enough evidence to justify accusations of a weapons-grade program, the United States should shift to the “plutonium first” policy that I advocate and that Garwin endorses. The United States could then give priority to getting

any plutonium reprocessed so far by North Korea out of the country, while providing for the elimination of any uranium-enrichment facilities at a later stage of a step-by-step denuclearization process.

The central thesis of my article is that the administration exaggerated the intelligence relating to the North Korean uranium-enrichment effort due to its broader agenda: reversing the Clinton policy of engagement with North Korea and, more particularly, abrogating the 1994 Agreed Framework, under which Pyongyang suspended plutonium-based nuclear facilities that could otherwise have produced some 30 nuclear weapons per year. Reiss and Gallucci brush aside this thesis, ignoring the arguments and analysis presented to support it.

As evidence of a bipartisan consensus on the uranium issue, they cite the fact that U.S. intelligence concerns over the possibility of a North Korean enrichment program originated during the Clinton years. Although it closely watched what the North Koreans were up to, however, the Clinton administration sought to head off a possible enrichment program through quiet diplomacy, avoiding a confrontation with Pyongyang that would jeopardize the gains made in controlling the plutonium danger under the Agreed Framework.

By contrast, President Bush openly expressed his desire for regime change in Pyongyang, and from the start, his most influential advisers looked for an excuse to abrogate the 1994 accord. They were (and are) ideologically opposed to providing material incentives that would help to sustain the Kim Jong Il regime in exchange for denuclearization. The result was a paralysis of U.S. North Korea policy until the summer of 2002, when the new intelligence on North Korean enrichment procurement efforts cited by Reiss and Gallucci gave them the desired pretext for abrogating the Agreed Framework. This amounted to throwing the baby out with the bath water, since North Korea predictably retaliated by reprocessing plutonium, an action previously barred under the 1994 accord.

The crux of the Reiss-Gallucci argument is that the new 2002 intelligence justified the CIA assessment that North Korea is making uranium-based nuclear weapons. I am not willing to accept this assessment on faith, considering the ideological agenda driving administration policy and the blatant misuse of intelligence to justify the invasion of Iraq.

In my article, I spelled out numerous specific constraints that would make it difficult for North Korea to enrich uranium to weapons grade, and numerous specific reasons why the evidence leaked by the administration in support of the 2002 assessment should not be taken at face value. None of this analysis is acknowledged or addressed by Reiss and Gallucci. The most important of the constraints that I emphasize is the difficulty that North Korea faces in obtaining sufficient quantities of the many sophisticated components, such as the special grade of maraging steel required for rotors, needed to make centrifuges in quantities sufficient for a large-scale enrichment program. Reiss and Gallucci cite the exposure in April 2003 of a North Korean attempt to import high-strength aluminum tubes as if the attempt itself proves that Pyongyang actually acquired the tubes. I cite the same example to emphasize that the intercept operation worked and to question whether North Korea actually acquired the tubes.

I found a range of views among the experts I consulted concerning just how difficult it would be for North Korea to make and operate the thousands of centrifuges needed for large-scale weapons-grade enrichment. Most of them, however, emphasized that complex metallurgical and chemical techniques are involved in making centrifuges, and that moving from low levels to high levels of enrichment adds to the time involved and thus multiplies the risk of technical problems, such as the corrosion and breakdown of the rotors. This is the point I was seeking to make, and I regret that I confused the issue by incorrectly drawing a comparison between low and high levels of enrichment.

Among the many misrepresentations of my position and misstatements of fact by Reiss and Gallucci, I would like to single out one in the space available. I do not say that “the enrichment program is somehow not central to the nuclear challenge.” Nor would my “plutonium first” proposal amount to “leaving Pyongyang in possession of the capability to continue its nuclear weapons effort.” On the contrary, I emphasize that “measures to locate and eliminate enrichment facilities that can produce weapons-grade uranium are essential” and that the United States “should insist on stringent terms in a denuclearization process” to locate such facilities if they exist, including the imposition of the NPT’s Additional Protocol providing for intrusive inspections.

On one key issue, Reiss and Gallucci appear to concur with my working hypothesis that the Khan network supplied North Korea only with prototypes and blueprints. If this is the case, North Korea would have to import all of the sophisticated components needed to make the large number of centrifuges required for enrichment and to overcome the technical obstacles inherent in this specialized manufacturing process. If Pakistan provided ready-to-use centrifuges in large numbers, the Reiss-Gallucci argument would be much stronger than it is, but so far no evidence of such transfers has surfaced.

정부지원금 0%, 회원의 회비로 운영됩니다

참여연대 후원/회원가입